Current Rank: 6th Degree Black Belt in American Kenpo Karate
Training Since: 1991
Other Styles / Interests:
I began training in Karate as a student at Syracuse University in 1991 and began teaching for my first instructor, Mr. Phil Benedict, in 1994. At Syracuse University I had the pleasure of training in many different styles including: Wing Chun Kung Fu, Pekiti Tirsia Kali, American Kickboxing, Aikido, and Tai Chi (in addition to my base system of Kenpo). After graduating in 1995 I moved to Boston, MA and while continuing my study of Kenpo I was also able to train in Jeet Kune Do Grappling, Doce Pares Eskrima and Muay Thai.
I relocated to Seattle, WA in 2001 and founded Alpha Martial Arts. I love the martial arts, especially the life-long learning opportunities that they present and the friendships that I have developed through training. Outside of the martial arts I enjoy snowboarding, hiking, running, reading, traveling and spending time with my family, friends and my husky. I am also learning to play the ukulele 🙂
- Founder of Alpha Martial Arts
- Owner & Master Instructor of Alpha Martial Arts Ravenna-Bryant
- 6th degree Black Belt Ed Parker’s American Kenpo under Mr. Brian MacDonald
- 2nd grade Black Belt in Doce Pares Eskrima under Guro Jason Silverman
- 1st degree Black Belt in Kovar’s Blend under Kyoshi Dave Kovar
- Level 3 Instructor in the Trans Muay Thai Association under Master Hung Tran
- Red Sash in Chaisai Muay Thai under Kru Alberto Ramirez
- Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Mr. Brian Johnson
- Bully Safe Kids Instructor under Mr. Bill Kipp
- CrossFit Level 2 Trainer (CF-L2)
- First Aid and CPR Certified
- Black Belt Schools International Certified Instructor (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008)
- Kovar Systems Certified Instructor (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Member of ProMac (Professional Martial Arts College) (2006-Present)
- Profiled in “The Journey Book 3, American Kenpo’s Next Generations” by Tom Bleecker.
Personal Statement: The original “Karate Kid” film sparked my passion for martial arts in 1984, but the flame wasn’t lit until I was a freshman in college in 1991. It has burned bright ever since and I am honored to be able to share this passion with our students at Alpha Martial Arts and at seminars near and far.
Favorite Quote: “A black belt is just a white belt who never quit.” –Unknown– (and) “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” –Rudyard Kipling–